He’s been staying mum, but not anymore. Scooter Braun opened up about looking like the “bad guy” amid his highly publicized feud with Taylor Swift. The record executive addressed the drama at the 2019 Entertainment Industry Conference on Thursday, November 21, revealing why he’s finally speaking out after keeping quiet about the turmoil for six months.
Scooter said he felt that talking about the disagreement online wouldn’t help solve the problem, as far as he’s concerned. “When there’s a lot of things being said and a lot of different opinions, yet the principals haven’t had a chance to speak to each other, there’s a lot of confusion,” the 38-year-old began.
“I’m not going to go into details here, because it’s just not my style. I just think we live in a time of toxic division, and of people thinking that social media is the appropriate place to air out on each other and not have conversations.”
“I don’t like politicians doing it. I don’t like anybody doing it,” he added. “If that means that I’ve got to be the bad guy longer, I’ll be the bad guy longer, but I’m not going to participate.”
Scooter’s comments come shortly after the “Shake It Off” songstress, 29, took to Twitter to call out Scooter and Scott Borchetta for allegedly preventing her from performing old songs on television, unless she agrees to their terms.
Taylor said they would allow her to use the music only if she doesn’t re-record “copycat versions” of her songs next year, however this rubbed the singer the wrong way, because she said it was something she is “legally allowed” to do and something she had been “looking forward to.”
The chart-topping artist said this left her upcoming performance at the American Music Awards and a previously unannounced Netflix documentary as “a big question mark.” Since then, Big Machine records released a statement, which said she will be allowed to perform her old songs at the AMAs.
Looking ahead, Scooter hinted that he’s hoping to have a chat with Taylor behind “closed doors” so they can settle their dispute once and for all.
“It’s hard, because I can handle it pretty easily, but when it gets to a place where there’s death threats and there’s offices being called and people being threatened … it’s gotten out of hand,” he continued. “And I think people need to come together and have a conversation, because that’s not what we got in this industry for.”
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!