Misc

‘House of Horrors’ Parents David and Louise Turpin Plead Guilty to Multiple Charges in Court

Samantha Benitz

Published

on

David and Louise Turpin Plead Guilty in Court
Louise Anna Turpin (L) David Allen Turpin (2ed R), accused of holding their 13 children captive, appear in court for arraignment with attorneys Jeff Moore and Alison Lowe (R) on January 18, 2018 in Riverside, California. According to Riverside County Sheriffs, David Allen Turpin and Louise Anna Turpin held 13 malnourished children ranging in age from 2 to 29 captive in their Perris, California home. Deputies were alerted after a 17-year-old daughter escaped by jumping through a window shortly before dawn on Sunday morning, carrying a de-activated mobile phone from which she was able to call 911 for help. Responding deputies described conditions in the home as foul-smelling with some kids chained to a bed and suffering injuries as a result. Adult children appeared at first to be minors because of their malnourished state. The Turpins were arrested on charges of torture and child endangerment.

California parents David and Louise Turpin, who held their 13 children captive inside their home, pleaded guilty to multiple charges in court on February 22, In Touch can confirm. Now, the couple faces life in prison with the possibility of parole after 25 years.

“This office was fully prepared to seek justice in this case,” Riverside DA Mike Hestrin said at a press conference. “This is among the worst, most aggravated child abuse cases I have ever seen.”

Both of the parents pleaded guilty to 14 counts each of torture, dependent adult abuse, child endangerment and false imprisonment as part of a deal with prosecutors. Sentencing is reportedly scheduled for April 19. This development comes just over a year after the Turpins were arrested, back in January 2018. The siblings, aged 2 to 29 at the time, were found living in “dark and foul-smelling surroundings” where some had been bound, shackled or padlocked to beds.

Turpin home sells

As a result of the plea deal, the Turpin parents will not be headed to trial. Even so, the “House of Horrors” case has captured national attention. The couple rarely fed their children and also only allowed them to shower once a year. The living conditions were so grotesque that one of them, a 17-year-old girl, chose to flee through a window before she called police on a deactivated cell phone she found in the house. This escape plan was two years in the making.

Back in March 2018, their lawyer, Jack Osborn, said that the children had been released from the hospital and are now living together in a rural California home. “The adult siblings want to be known as survivors, not victims,” Osborn told ABC News during an interview.

“They’re joyful, warm, considerate. It’s not all about them,” Osborn added. “They want to hear what’s going on with you, and me, and my family. It’s just really fun. It’s fun to be around them. Of course, they’re really full of joy about their life and the things they get to experience right now.”

Trending News

Politics4 days ago

Spencer Pratt Fires Back at Chelsea Handler After She Says He’s Not a ‘Legitimate Political Candidate’

Better Call Saul Better Call Saul
Celebrity2 days ago

Beloved ‘Better Call Saul’ Star Shares Heartbreaking ALS Diagnosis and the Brave Reason He’s Going Public Now

Samara in The Ring Samara in The Ring
Movie News5 days ago

Horror Icon, Best Known for ‘The Ring,’ Dead at 68

News2 days ago

Casey Wasserman Engaged to Mistress, Who Sent Grotesque Emails to His Then-Wife, Amid Epstein Files Scandal

Politics2 days ago

Spencer Pratt Responds to Report That President Donald Trump May Endorse His Run for L.A. Mayor

Country Music2 days ago

Carly Pearce Says She Knew Marriage to Michael Ray Was a ‘Very Big Mistake’ Hours After Wedding

Celebrity News2 days ago

Jessica Simpson Makes Her Kids Fly Coach Because She Doesn’t Want Them to Be ‘Entitled’

Exclusive2 days ago

Martin Short’s Relationship With Meryl Streep ‘a Bright Spot in His Life’ After Daughter’s Death

Entertainment1 day ago

Netflix’s ‘The Crash’: Mackenzie Shirilla’s Father Placed on Administrative Leave After Doc Release

True Crime2 days ago

Nancy Guthrie Update: Sheriff Says He’s No Longer in Contact With the Family — ‘It Works Both Ways’

Politics2 days ago

Spencer Pratt Declares He’ll Be ‘Done’ Living in L.A. With ‘Zombies’ If He Loses Mayoral Election

Jessica Simpson Jessica Simpson
Celebrity2 days ago

Jessica Simpson Slammed for Flying First Class While Her Kids Sit in Coach: Fans Compare Her to ‘Home Alone’ Parents