Fans of Matthew Perry worldwide are mourning his death and more details are coming to light about where the iconic actor was seen on his last days.

Matthew Perry Was Seen at a Restaurant 24 Hours Before Death

Perry was spotted dining alongside a mystery brunette at Hotel Bel-Air on October 27, one day before he was pronounced dead in his Los Angeles home.

At the time, his companion wasn’t identified, but sources told TMZ that the Friends actor looked well and was so engaged in conversation that he barely touched his place. Reports also noted that the pair were seated for more than an hour before leaving the venue together.

On November 1, the mystery woman came forward as TV host and entertainment journalist Athenna Crosby. She took to her Instagram Stories to talk about their outing that day.

“I wasn’t going to speak about this but what I will say is I had the honor of knowing Matthew personally,” Crosby wrote. “I am so devastated from his death but felt it was in poor taste to talk about it publicly as the attention should not be on me but rather on him and his legacy.”

She also noted that Perry was “an extremely private person,” a quality that she “respected.”

“Indeed, we were friends and I was one of the last people to speak to him and see him before he passed,” Crosby continued. “I want to emphasize that Matthew was in extremely good spirits and talked to me enthusiastically about the things that he had coming up in his life. He was so happy and vibrant. Please refrain from any speculation surrounding his death and know that the man was on a comeback and truly deserved more time on this Earth. Our entertainment industry has truly lost a legend.”

As for the nature of their lunch outing, Crosby told TMZ that she and Perry met through mutual friends “a few months ago” and were not romantically involved. She also revealed that Perry seemed excited about his weight loss and playing pickleball.

Crosby also confirmed Perry was “100 percent sober when he passed.” While the former beauty pageant contestant understood that people were speculating a relapse contributed to the 17 Again actor’s death, she defended him, telling Fox News Digital, “That it was not.”

“I mean, I can’t know what exactly he was thinking or feeling. I can only share my experience. And, of course, he was his own person that maybe he had said, done or thought of things the day that he passed that I might never come to know,” she explained. “In the interaction that I had with him, he was extremely positive, sober, acting normal, spoke very well, did not give me any impression that he was under drugs or alcohol of any kind.”

Matthew Perry Played Pickleball With a Friend

The Fools Rush In star played pickleball with a friend the morning of his death, previously using the sport as a means to overcome substance abuse issues that he battled for years.

“He played every day and sometimes twice. It regulated his days. I spoke to the woman he played with this morning and every morning,” Extra host Billy Bush explained of Matt’s last day via Instagram on October 29. “She is in shock, adored Matt … she said he had been fatigued today and over the past week. A little more than usual. He played for one hour then went home.”

Following the news of his death, Perry’s close friend and pickleball coach, Matt Manasse, said he was in “good spirits” and “seemed like he was in a really good and a happy place” before his death.

“Pickleball, I think was an outlet for him,” he shared, noting Perry played four to five times a week. “It was something that he became obsessed with, and that was his new healthy addiction, and he loved it.”

He added that Matt would bring people who were “going through similar things” and try to use pickleball to help them as well.

What Happened to Matthew Perry?

The Canadian-American actor was found unresponsive on October 28 after an apparent drowning at his Los Angeles home. Paramedics responded but the star was pronounced dead at the scene. Perry was discovered at the scene by his long-time assistant and confidante, Briana Brancato.

An autopsy was performed by the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner the day after the sitcom actor’s death, but the initial results were inconclusive pending a toxicology report, as Perry’s cause of death has been “deferred” pending further tests.

Have a tip? Send it to us! Email In Touch at