It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Sure, Christmas may be right around the corner, but since 2011, Jimmy Kimmel has asked parents to pretend they ate all their kids’ Halloween candy and then post their reactions to YouTube. The segment — which airs every Nov. 1 — has become so popular, however, that it seems nearly impossible to snag your 15 minutes of fame. Luckily, we’ve figured out a way for you to not only submit but to also get noticed. You’re welcome.
Create a YouTube account if you don’t already have one
This may seem self-explanatory, but it’s step number one! According to YouTube for Dummies (sorry), here are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to YouTube.com and click the Sign-Up link.
- Enter your e-mail address and a password.
- Fill in the Re-type Password and Username fields.
- In the Location drop-down list, select the country where you live.
- Enter your postal code.
- Click to select your gender and enter your date of birth.
- Type the characters (letters and numbers) from the colored box into the Word Verification field.
- Check or uncheck the next box with the unwieldy name: Let others find my channel on YouTube if they have my email address.
- Click the Create My Account button.
Well, maybe not you personally. You might get some strange looks! But you’ll need candy in order to “steal” it. Of course, you could always just go to the grocery store. But what’s the fun in that?
Submit your video with a specific title
Sometime after you go trick or treating, tell your kids you ate all their Halloween candy. Record it and upload your video to YouTube with the title: ‘Hey Jimmy Kimmel – I Told My Kids I Ate All Their Halloween Candy.’ Once you post your video, keep an eye out for a message from his team to your YouTube account.
Have a cute kid!
You can do all the prep you want before the recording, but your son or daughter will be the star. Here’s to hoping their reaction lands you a spot on TV — happy submitting!
Jimmy Kimmel Live! airs weeknights at 11:35 p.m. EST on ABC.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!