Your favorite stars have stepped onto the red carpet for the 2019 Oscars, but what about Kevin Hart? The 34-year-old was set to host Hollywood’s biggest night but was a no-show on Sunday, February 24.
Kevin stepped down as host after several homophobic tweets he wrote resurfaced online. The comedian took to Twitter on December 6 to announce the news. “I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year’s Oscar’s … this is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing[ly] talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.”
One month later, however, the Night School actor appeared as a guest on The Ellen Degeneres Show and received backlash for his statements. “It’s tough for me because it was an attack, a malicious attack on my character, to end me,” he told host Ellen DeGeneres, who was also slammed for calling the LGBTQ community “haters.”
“Don’t pay attention to them; they are a small group of people who are very, very loud. We are a huge group of people who love you and want to see you host the Oscars,” she said at the time. “They will win if you don’t host the Oscars. You can’t let them destroy you because you have too much talent, and for them to stop you from your dream, from what you want to do, what you have the right to do, what you should be doing … Don’t let those people win, host the Oscars … That’s why they (The Academy) haven’t found another host, because they are secretly hoping that you would come back.”
Of course, we now know that The Academy opted to “just have presenters” over an official host, something that hasn’t happened since 1989.
Previously, Kevin announced on his official Instagram page that he would host the awards show for the first time, according to CNN. He wrote on Dec. 4 that he was “so happy to say that the day has finally come for me to host the Oscars,” after saying that he’d always wanted the opportunity. Looks like Kevin will have to wait a little while longer …