He’s getting help first. The troubled son of Farrah Fawcett and Ryan O’Neal, Redmond O’Neal, has to receive mental health treatment because he was deemed incompetent to stand trial for a series of crimes he allegedly committed in May 2018, according to Radar Online. He must be treated at a state mental hospital before he can face felony charges related to the crimes. Commissioner Laura Stremer ordered him to receive psychiatric medication while he’s in jail and waiting to go to the facility.

O’Neal was arrested on May 8, because he was a suspect in an armed robbery of a 7-Eleven. But after his arrest, he was linked to other previous crimes he allegedly committed during a spree in Los Angeles. Five men were attacked in “unprovoked confrontations” in the Venice Beach and Palms areas by a male suspect with red hair and tattoos — which matched O’Neal’s description, Us Weekly reported back in June 2018. O’Neal allegedly stabbed one man in the head and injured another using a broken glass bottle, Radar reported. Two of the victims were seriously injured. In order to stand trial for the charges, Farrah’s son has to be able to understand the criminal proceedings and help his attorney.

Farrah Fawcett Son Redmond O'Neal Mental Health Treatment Trial

According to a press release obtained by Us Weekly in June 2018, O’Neal was charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon, one count of battery, one count of criminal threats, and one count of brandishing a knife. He pleaded not guilty to the robbery on May 11, 2018. He has now been placed under the custody of the state Department of Mental Health following four different reports submitted by psychiatrists seeking to determine if O’Neal was able to stand trial based on his mental competency.

O’Neal has struggled with substance abuse in the past, and his half-sister, Tatum O’Neal, told People in 2015, “I love him, but I have never seen a more scary side of addiction. He’s got addiction problems so bad that it breaks my heart. Nobody knows what to do with Redmond. From what I’ve seen, there is no way he’s going to survive.”

This isn’t O’Neal’s first run-in with the law. In 2008, he was arrested for DUI and drug possession. Three years later, he was arrested for heroin possession again. Finally, in 2015, he was sentenced to three years in prison for violating his probation, but Radar Online reported he was released two years earlier than anticipated.

Have a tip? Send it to us! Email In Touch at contact@intouchweekly.com.