Former Real Housewives of Orange County star Lauri Peterson‘s son was charged with attempted murder in 2016, but now he claims the County of Orange unlawfully recorded his calls in jail. According to The Blast, Josh Waring claims “at least 1,400 calls were intercepted, recorded, and turned over to the investigating prosecution team, violating a court order.” Based on his own math, he reportedly believes he should get $1,000 for each violation — for a total of $1.4 million.

Earlier this year, Josh claimed he was innocent and said he knew who committed the crime. “I’m fearful because the deck is stacked against me already,” he told Radar Online in January. “I’m trying my best to prove I didn’t do this, but this justice system is scary.”

On June 20, 2016, Josh allegedly opened fire on two people in Costa Mesa and then led cops on a car chase. He was eventually captured and charged with three counts of attempted murder and several felony and misdemeanor charges. If found guilty, he could face several life sentences.

josh waring

Josh Warning pictured with his mother and sisters in 2007. Credit: Getty Images

“They don’t care if they wrongly convict me, I’m a drug addict and not a productive member of society. I don’t think they care if I go upstate for the rest of my life,” Josh told the outlet. For years, Josh battled addiction and was even hit with a felony possession of a controlled substance charge and accusations of being under the influence — while behind bars. Court docs revealed the troubled star was busted with “pruno,” an alcoholic drink made from ketchup, fermented fruit, sugar, and bread.

Josh appeared on RHOC with his mom until she quit in 2009 due to his legal troubles. And even though the disgraced reality star ditched his TV career nearly a decade ago, he still blames the show for his run-ins with the law. “The show kind of put a target on my back,” he said. “But I chose to go out and do drugs so it’s my fault. I am innocent and I have tried to prove that from the gate.”

Despite attempts to prove his innocence by taking a polygraph test on Dateline, he’s encountered roadblocks with every attempt. “I got the ball rolling [with Dateline]. They requested almost $10,000 to get cameras approved. The producer said she had never gone through so many roadblocks. So it’s been hard and they’re putting up bars everywhere I turn,” he revealed.

Fortunately, his parents have been supportive through it all. “My mom has been at all the court hearings every day and my dad is involved, they have been supportive,” he said. “It’s been hard knowing the circumstances, it’s been difficult at times, but I push on and keep the fight up.”

For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!