Disgraced ex-Congressman and former NYC mayoral hopeful Anthony Weiner may be coming home early. Nearly one year after he began his 21-month prison sentence for sexting with an underage girl, Weiner is set to be released early for good conduct.
The now 54-year-old — known for his online sexual exploits as “Carlos Danger” — has been a “model inmate” while imprisoned at the Federal Medical Center in Devens, MA, the NY Post reported Monday. According to prison records, he is scheduled to be released in May 2019, three months earlier than his initial August 2019 date.
In May last year, Weiner pleaded guilty to one charge of transferring obscene material to a minor after communicating with a 15-year-old girl from January to March of 2016. “I was a very sick man for a very long time,” he said before the sentencing, referring to the communication he had with the teen via Snapchat and Skype, during which her undressed body was on display and she was asked to perform sexually for the politician. “I was the adult… If I had done the right thing, I would not be standing here before you today.”
The terms of his sentence — which were decided by Judge Denise Cote — included three years of supervised release, a $10,000 fine, and registering as a sex offender. “This was a serious crime, and it’s a serious crime that deserves serious punishment,” Judge Cote said in court at the time. “There’s a uniform opinion by those who have examined him that he is an addict. He has a disease that includes sexual compulsivity. Some call it sex addition. Steps are being taken… to limit his access to social media.”
Weiner — who was previously married to Hillary Clinton’s close advisor, Huma Abedin, with whom he shares a six-year-old son — resigned from Congress in 2011 when sexually explicit photos of himself, which he sent to an adult woman, were accidentally leaked on his Twitter account. He later confessed to having inappropriate relationships with several women during the course of his marriage.