This is so awful. Eight men were killed in Toronto, Canada between 2010 to 2017 by someone dubbed the Gay Village serial killer. In 2018, a former landscaper named Bruce McArthur was arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting, killing and dismembering men he met in the district over that time period, KTLA reported January 29. Now, the 67-year-old had pleaded guilty to eight counts of first-degree murder.
Last year, police found the remains of seven of the men in planters at a property where McArthur had once worked and also used as storage, KTLA reported. Remains from the eighth victim were found in a ravine behind the same property. The prosecutor in the case, Michael Cantlon, said the cases from 2010 to 2017 involved sexual assault or forcible confinement, and noted that the bodies were hidden and dismembered. In addition, many of the victims were reportedly strangled.
This is the statement of facts the court heard today as Bruce McArthur pleaded guilty to eight counts of first degree murder. pic.twitter.com/QfMkBdNKg8
— Megan DeLaire (@MeganDeLaire) January 29, 2019
A Toronto Police Service news release reported that McArthur faced eight counts of first-degree murder for the deaths of Selim Esen, Andrew Kinsman, Majeed Kayhan, Dean Lisowick, Soroush Mahmudi, Skandaraj Navaratnam, Abdulbasir Faizi, and Kirushna Kanagaratnam. Police first charged McArthur with the deaths of two men back in January 2018, The New York Post reported. Many of the victims reportedly had ties to the city’s Gay Village neighborhood. According to KTLA, most of the people McArthur killed were of Middle Eastern or South Asian descent, and one victim hid that he was gay from his Muslim family. Essentially, he appeared to target people who were marginalized.
If this story wasn’t already awful enough, The New York Post also reported that McArthur kept “souvenirs” to remember his victims by, including jewelry. Cantlon also said McArthur “staged” and photographed some of his victims, Newser reported.
Sentencing and victim impact statements for this case are supposed to start Feb. 4, KTLA reported. Hopefully, justice will be served for McArthur’s victims.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!