She’s not having a good week. Not only has Real Housewives of New York City star Bethenny Frankel had to relive the pain of losing her on-again, off-again boyfriend Dennis Shields and faced off with her ex-husband Jason Hoppy in their nasty custody battle this week but now, she’s got another unfortunate health update. According to the reality star, she was diagnosed with a wheat allergy and a health condition called leaky gut syndrome.
“Just when you thought it couldn’t get sexier, I was diagnosed today with ‘leaky gut syndrome’ and a wheat allergy. Could there be a more vile title? That I wouldn’t have put on my dating profile,” the 48-year-old wrote on Twitter on Friday, March 8, then asked her followers for advice.
Just when you thought it couldn’t get sexier, I was diagnosed today with “leaky gut syndrome” and a wheat allergy. Could there be a more vile title? That I wouldn’t have put on my dating profile. Ok tweeps, hit me with the info. 😘
— Bethenny Frankel (@Bethenny) March 8, 2019
Leaky gut syndrome, or increased intestinal permeability, is a digestive system condition that occurs when gaps in the intestinal wall begin to loosen, according to Healthline. When those gaps become bigger, it allows things like toxins, bacteria and undigested food particles to leak out of the intestines and into the bloodstream.
Increased intestinal permeability is often connected to celiac disease, which is similar to Frankel’s other diagnosis — a wheat allergy. But a wheat allergy is different from celiac disease or gluten intolerance. According to Everyday Health, a wheat allergy is when the body has an immune reaction or an allergic reaction to wheat protein.
Frankel has not had the best of luck when it comes to her health over the past year or so. In December 2018, she suffered an intense allergic reaction when she ate soup that she did not know contained fish — which was extremely dangerous because she is allergic to fish. It caused her to go unconscious and she had to be medically treated, and thankfully, first responders quickly administered an EpiPen and saved her life.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!