Two months after Logan Paul uploaded a controversial vlog showing a dead body he encountered while the popular YouTuber encountered while exploring Aokigahara forest on Mt. Fuji, also known as the "suicide forest," his ads have been restored on the streaming platform. This means Logan can once again monetize the videos he uploads to YouTube.
According to Mashable, Logan, 22, is still on probation, which means he won't show up on the trending tab and is not eligible for Google Prefered ads — reserved for YouTube's most influential creators. However, that was not enough for users, who believe white privilege is the reason the ~prankster~ is allowed to monetize his content again.
#LoganPaul videos are literally a record of him insulting & disrespecting people, culture, customs & heritage. On top of being vile, disgusting & stupid. However, he's a white, blonde hair, blue eyed man, so his "sentence" is significantly lighter.— OC (@ochavezj) February 27, 2018
@YouTube @YTCreators @TeamYouTube PLEASE DO NOT LET @LoganPaul BACK!!!! He is the WORST example of white privilege, male misogyny and total ignorance!!!! Ban him for life! Stand up got something.....for once! #loganpaul #nomoreloganpaul— MAT (@geargrinder411) February 27, 2018
I'm not even really following the Logan Paul YouTube drama but even from my distance I can smell that white male privilege working— ❄♠❄Fox❄♠❄ (@cascadianpoppy) February 27, 2018
"PLEASE DO NOT LET @LoganPaul BACK!!!! He is the WORST example of white privilege, male misogyny, and total ignorance!!!! Ban him for life! Stand up got something... for once," one tweet read. YouTube's explanation for restoring Logan's ad is also riddled with white privilege.
"He hasn’t done anything that would cause those three strikes,” Susan Wojcicki said at the Code Media conference earlier this month. "We can’t just be pulling people off our platform...they need to violate a policy. We need to have consistent [rules]. This is like a code of law."
She continued, "What you think is tasteless is not necessarily what someone else would think is tasteless. We need to have consistent laws, so that in our policies, so we can apply it consistently to millions of videos, millions of creators." Right...
As Jill Gutowitz wrote in Teen Vogue, "The way the public absorbs and processes scandals from straight, cisgender white men is mired in bias, whether it be subconscious or not; they can skirt condemnation for acts that would likely be career-ending for others." And YouTube proves once again that Logan's career will continue to flourish without any real consequences for his actions.
Following the backlash from his suicide video, which garnered six million views before he deleted it, Logan apologized to his followers and asked for a second chance. "Sometimes I cuss. Sometimes I make inappropriate jokes," he said. "I want to make jokes that kids my age are going to like... Now I will say I'm much more aware of the impact that my actions have on myself and others," he said at the time. "I think I'm going to earn a second chance. I don't think everyone should get a second chance."
However, this is not the first time Logan has uploaded content deemed inappropriate, insensitive, or controversial. He previously filmed himself tasering dead rats and mocking Japanese culture. Logan makes an estimated $8 million a year from ad revenue.