This Christmas will mark 20 years since six-year-old beauty queen JonBenét Ramsey was brutally murdered — and even after two decades, the world is without answers as to who is responsible for this horribly gruesome act.
But now, In Touch can exclusively uncover that new information into the investigation reveals how it was mishandled from the very beginning.
“The entire investigation from the beginning was botched,” famed forensic pathologist Cyril Wech told In Toucht exclusively. “And it has been so for 20 years.”
This comes shortly the Boulder district attorney announced plans to conduct new, sophisticated DNA testing on samples found on the JonBenét’s clothes, following the revelation that for years the DNA test results have been incredibly misinterpreted.
JonBenét’s parents, John and Patsy. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
The DNA test has likely been subjected to the most speculation, as it was previously found that DNA samples found in the girl’s underwear belonged to an “unknown male,” but updated testing in 2008 found that it was “likely” the samples came from “more than two people” in addition to JonBenét and “should not be considered a single-source profile,” an investigation by the local Daily Camera revealed.
The investigation’s focus on a single perpetrator may have been detrimental, former US attorney for Colorado Troy Eid told the Camera.
“It’s a rather obvious point, but if you’re looking for someone that doesn’t exist, because actually it’s several people, it’s problem,” he explained.
And the problems with the testing is more than scientific. After DNA samples cleared John Mark Karr, who confessed to the murder, and JonBenét’s parents, John and Patsy, and brother Burke of the crime, the then-district attorney Mary T. Lacy wrote a controversial letter apologizing them — but the current prosecutor in Boulder, Stan Garnett, thinks Lacy fell guilty to “confirmation bias” and overlooked any evidence that didn’t support her theory.
While the world isn’t any closer to answers than we were on Dec. 26, 1996, Greg Testa — the police chief in Boulder — vowed to keep searching for answers.
A reproduction of the Ramsey’s ransom note. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
“We have not and will not give up,” he said. “We remain focused on this investigation and finding justice for JonBenét.”