Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!
Award show season is in full effect! You know what that means — gorgeous hair and drool-worthy makeup looks from your favorite stars, of course! Highlights from the Golden Globes include Emma Stone's cool chignon and Katharine McPhee's natural look. Hollywood's top glam squad talent shared their inspiration, how-to steps and the L’Oréal Paris and Matrix products needed to recreate these to-die-for looks — so now you can get the same glam on for your next fancy fête!
For Emma, stylist Mara Roszak aimed to complement The Help star's eggplant Lanvin gown with a similar edge and effortless style. "We stayed away from anything too romantic," says Roszak. "The rougher texture was key in achieving the goal of the style — a strong feel while remaining feminine." Meanwhile, makeup artist Lauren Andersen took a fresh-faced and youthful approach with Katharine. "This beauty look was very sweet," Andersen says. "I used the flower, Baby's Breath, as my inspiration for creating a look for Katharine that was simple and natural."
Emma's step-by-step how-to:
1. Starting with wet hair, applied Matrix Total Results Amplify Foam Volumizer ($15, matrix.com for salon locations).
2. Using your hands, rough-up dried hair to accentuate natural texture.
3. Used a 1” barrel curling iron, touch up natural wave throughout.
4. Take a dab of Matrix Total Results Curl Contouring Lotion ($15, matrix.com for salon locations) to tame any extra frizz throughout the hair — and to give it a bit more definition.
5. Pulled hair back loosely, letting the front of the hair and pieces around the face fall out naturally.
6. Twist ends of hair and pull back to create a loose, messy chignon in the back, letting the front of the hair and pieces around the face fall out.
7. Once hair was back and pinned, drop the hair into the messy bun shape, pinning and wrapping each piece individually.
8. To secure the style, use Biolage Freeze Fix Hair Spray ($15, matrix.com for salon locations).
9. This one's optional, but Emma pinned a Lanvin hair accessory for extra glam.
Katharine's step-by-step how-to:
1. To create the base for her look, Andersen started with Clé de Peau Beauté Refining Fluid Foundation (SPF 24).
2. Next, Andersen applied L’Oréal Paris Magic Smooth Soufflé Blush in Celestial ($13, drugstores) to the apples of Katharine’s cheeks for a soft, natural flush.
3. On the Smash star's eyes, Andersen swiped L’Oréal Paris Infallible Eye Shadow in Iced Latte ($8, drugstores) across the lids, blending it into the crease for a sultry, warm smoky eye.
4. With a light hand, Andersen also thinly lined the eyes with L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner in Brown ($9, drugstores) to deepen the look of lashes, which she coated with L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara ($9, drugstores).
5. Her lips? Andersen used Dior Rouge Contour Lip Liner in Linen and L’Oréal Paris Infallible Gloss 8HR in Petal ($10, drugstores).
6. Finally, Andersen finished Katharine's look with a dusting of YSL Poudre Sur Mesure — a semi-loose powder in neutral to set the overall look.