In Touch caught up with Carter Oosterhouse, star of HGTV’s Million Dollar Rooms today. We asked the hunk how the everyday person can add a million-dollar feel to their home rennovations without dropping serious $$$$. Here are some of his tips.
1. Always have a plan of attack – wasting time is wasting money.
2. Consider the layout and flow of your space.
3. Color can be your best friend or you biggest enemy…the right color can change the entire look and feel of a space.
4. Use low flow fixtures – they make a difference.
5. Marble and Granite countertops are not your only choices. There are more alternative products on the market today than ever before…they give the same expensive look without the price tag.
6. Sweat the small stuff. Accents and accessories really complete a room, so take your time.
7. Plan on going over budget by 10%.
8. Good lighting can make all the difference. Add dimmer switches – think about some of your favorite spaces and places and what they have in common – lighting is key.
9. Hardwood flooring will last a lifetime and uses 20% less water than most flooring products to manufacture. Be Green when you can!
10. Know what you’re capable of and what a pro should do. It will cost more to re-do something.
ABOUT HGTV MILLION DOLLAR ROOMS
Million Dollar Rooms with Carter Oosterhouse gives viewers an all-access pass into some of the most extravagant and expensive rooms in the world. The new season premieres Tuesday, April 24th at 8:30pm EST.