The custody battle between Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie is going to a new level and heading to family court, despite a statement released by Team Angelina that indicated a new legal agreement had been reached, In Touch is reporting exclusively.
Late Monday night, a representative for Angelina released a statement that said in part: "We can confirm that childcare professionals have encouraged a legal agreement accepted and signed by both sides over a week ago. In accordance with this agreement, the six children will stay in their mother's custody, and the children will continue therapeutic visits with their father. This has been determined by childcare professionals to be in the children's best interest."
MORE: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Former Bodyguard Claims He "Fathered" Their Children
However, the agreement is merely an extension of a previous temporary deal between Brad and Angelina with the same terms, one source explains.
(Photo Credit: Splash)
What’s more, In Touch has learned that Brad is determined to take Angelina into family court where he will wage an all-out war to win joint custody of their six children — Maddox, 15, Pax, 12, Zahara, 11, Shiloh, 10, and twins Knox and Vivienne, 8. Angelina will not back down and is ready to fight it out in family court, an insider says.
In Touch has confirmed that Brad and Angelina spoke by phone about the agreement that allows her to keep sole custody of the kids temporarily until a final determination is made. “The call did not go well,” one source said.
“The statement by Angelina’s team creates a false impression that she has won some type of victory in terms of custody,” one source said. “That’s simply not true.” All the key terms are identical to what the couple are currently abiding by, the source added, calling it de facto an extension of their current agreement.
Brad and Angelina were operating under an agreement allowing Angelina to have sole custody, and Brad to have supervised visits with the kids, while the Department of Children and Family Services conducted its investigation.
(Photo Credit: Getty Images)
The agreement referred to by Angelina’s rep as new was put in place anticipating the end of the DCFS investigation, multiple sources reveal. It does not impose any new terms on either party.
Is Team Angelina attempting to spin a non-event into the appearance of a victory? “Absolutely,” the insider says. “Because nothing has changed.”
MORE: Justin Theroux Says "F--k Brad Pitt" in New Instagram Photo — See it Here
The source insists it should be looked at as a new deal “with no expiration date,” although the source does not know why Team Angelina decided to release a statement about it and agrees it does not change the current living or visitation schedule.
Next stop, multiple sources confirm, is war in family court. “Brad isn’t backing down one bit in getting joint custody,” the insider says. “Unless Angelina comes to her senses and agrees to it, it’s going to get ugly.”
Relive Brangelina's cutest moments together in the gallery!