Nice try, Bill Cosby. The former comedian's attempt to have his case tossed out failed. TMZ, and a variety of other publications, are reporting that the Pennsylvania judge is moving forward with his retrial. During a pretrial hearing, he gave an update on Cosby's case: It will last at least a month.
The disgraced celebrity's last case resulted in a hung jury — and lasted half the time of his upcoming trial. He will face the serious charges of drugging and molesting Andrea Constand. In addition to those charges, the prosecution hopes to include other women who've also accused Cosby of sexual assault in order to prove a pattern.
(Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Despite the fact that the prosecutors have a list of over 19 women willing to take the stand, Cosby is maintaining his innocence. The 80-year-old claims all the sexual encounters were consensual. Defense attorney Becky James doesn't seem to be worried about the prosecutions' case in the slightest.
"Their case is so weak they need these other 19 witnesses to shore it up," James said of the events that stem as far back as 53 years. "There are witnesses that have died, there are documents that are no longer in existence... There are serious constraints on our ability to prepare."
Once the case is heard, the world will have to wait to see if this jury will be able to come to a verdict. A former juror of the initial case previously spoke out about the trying experience. "People couldn’t even pace," the juror said. "They were just literally walking in circles where they were standing because they were losing their minds. People would just start crying out of nowhere, we wouldn't even be talking about [the case] — and people would just start crying." The retrial is set to begin April 2.
If you need support, The National Sexual Assault Hotline is available 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673. You will be connected with a trained staff member in your area. Or visit RAINN.org to chat online one-on-one with a support specialist at any time.